Saturday, January 22, 2011

We Slept In. Oops.

So, last fall we started buying produce through a co-op called Bountiful Baskets.  They are not country wide, but are in several western states.  You pay $15 plus a $1.50 co-op fee and get a basket of veggies and another of fruit.  Orders are place Monday/Tuesday and you pick it up on Saturday morning.  The husband LOVES this because they often have fruit we either can't buy locally (persimmons come to mind), OR things I don't ever buy, and there is usually a big variety every week.

Today is Saturday.  Our pickup time is 7:30 and it's 15 minutes away.  The littles were up late but slept well ... and even though they usually get me up by 6:30, we slept until 7:45.  I nearly cried and the husband was bummed I'd missed it.  I needed the sleep though.

I didn't even bother getting ready because 20 minutes after the pickup time, they have every right to donate your basket elsewhere (it's in the stuff you have to read and check on the website when you place the order).  I forgot that they have a second pickup at 7:45, so they would still be there at least 20 minutes after that.  but they called me at 8:15 saying they had held my basket and asked if I could be there within 15 minutes.  We dashed over there and they gave me the box.  Our site coordinator is such a sweetie. 

Today, we got asparagus, purple lettuce, green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, red and white potatoes, bananas, apples, pears, grapefruit, lemons, a pineapple, and some other things ... and last week we got a lot of the same, plus a bunch of poblenos peppers, butternut squash, and oranges.

I thawed a turkey this week and put it in the roaster for dinner tonight.  I sliced the squash in half and scooped out the seeds, then put them in there too, and the potatoes, a few of the peppers (whole -- we want flavor but not heat), 2 lemons and 2 oranges (cut in half and juice squeezed all over the turkey), some onion, salt, pepper ... it's going to be for dinner, an about an hour before serving time, I'll add in some asparagus on top. 

Our house smells SO good right now.  Kiddo will be at school until 6 every night the next couple of weeks while they get ready for the play, so we need to have some cooked meat in the freezer where I can just throw stuff together and make something fast.  Between the turkey, a ham (diced in the freezer), and crockpot meals, I should be able to make something healthy every night and avoid eating out at all.  YAY!

No comments: